USB sync to iPad

USB sync to iPad

Postby fraserofthenight » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:09 am

Hi,

I'm having some sync issues to my iPad from Win7 x64. It often takes many tries to sync, failing at random points with "An error has occurred"/"The sync was stopped" on the iPad while the computer's state still shows "Syncing". This may be because my computer occasionally disconnects from the wireless for a couple seconds, though usually not this frequently. As a stopgap measure, could you add a way to synchronize via USB and/or or the filesystem? I was able to sync by manually copying the .manga files and database over, querying the SQLite database to get the IDs of all the chapters, and renaming all the .manga files to their ID. This seems like a rather... um... bad way to do this.

Thanks,
fraserofthenight
fraserofthenight

Re: USB sync to iPad

Postby Edward » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 am

The problem is that Apple doesn't let us use the USB connection. Otherwise it would be much better to use it than to mess with WIFI, as you say. I'm impressed at your manual sync (!) , but you shouldn't be expected to do all that. Another user has found a correlation between large chapter files and this issue. I'm going to thoroughly review the sync system to find out what iOS 3.2/4.0 broke, because it used to work fine before those.
Edward
Site Admin

Re: USB sync to iPad

Postby fraserofthenight » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:10 am

Thanks for the quick reply. In this case, I think the problem is on my side since my router sucks ass, and both my computer and iPad frequently disconnect from it. As for USB sync, I know some apps use iTunes "documents" thing to transfer files, and the database could be updated at startup... It's certainly not ideal, and I'm sure there are higher priority updates that need attention first, but it would certainly be useful. Also, there are a couple libraries that allow access the filesystem via USB like http://code.google.com/p/manzana/ . They require a jail broken device to see the entire device, but I think even a locked device can be partially browsed. And a little reverse engineering is all in a day's work for me ;-P

Thanks anyway,
All the best,
fraserofthenight
fraserofthenight

Return to Feature Suggestions